On August 31, 2022, the White House Council on Environmental Quality (“CEQ”) released instructions to federal agencies for implementing Executive Order (“EO”) 14057 Catalyzing Clean Energy Industries and Jobs Through Federal Sustainability. As we have covered previously, EO 14057 identified ambitious sustainability goals for federal agencies, including:
- 100 percent carbon-free electricity by 2030;
- 100 percent zero-emission vehicle fleet by 2035;
- net-zero emissions building portfolio by 2045;
- 65 percent reduction in Greenhouse Gas (“GHG”) Scope 1 and 2 emissions from Federal operations; and
- net-zero emissions from federal procurement, including a “Buy Clean” policy to promote use of construction materials with lower embodied emissions.